June 3rd - June 4th, 2017
Maui Jim Ocean Shootout
The Maui Jim Ocean Shootout presented by Maui Jim Sunglasses is a unique two-day ocean event comprised of 10 individual sprint races and 2 co-ed relay races in multi-disciplined events. Sprint races (~5 min each) will take place in the waters of Ka'anapali Beach fronting the Ka'anapali Beach Hotel.
Participants will test their skills and challenge others in a series of individual races accumulating points over the two-days in their respective divisions. This year will again include the Team division and medley relays. Each competitor's individual accrued points over the weekend can also be applied toward their Team points that will be tracked throughout the competition. Top three teams will earn prizes and an Overall Waterman and Water woman will be crowned after the Waterman Challenge finale race.
Watch the re-cap video from Maui Jim Ocean Shootout 2016 and 2015 here:
Saturday, June 3 to Sunday, June 4
- $50,000 CASH PURSE
- Sprint races for Surf-ski, OC-1, SUP, Prone Paddle-board and Swimming.
- Open class and age groups
- Iron man style multi-disciplined races on day two
Single Day Registration: $125 ($150 after May 20)
Two Day Registration: $200 ($250 after May 20)
Sign up early – the registration prices will go up after May 20
All race registrations include free kids race entry. Contact us for details. Email: [email protected]
All Jr. Division races are free and equipment is provided.
All event proceeds will be donated to local charities: Hale Makua Health Services, Imua Family Services, Women Helping Women, Maui Arts and Cultural Center, and the Maui County Junior Lifeguard Program.
Maui Jim Relay Teams
The Maui Jim Ocean Shootout will offer participants a chance to race with fellow competitors as competition teams. How it works:
- Individuals can choose to be part of a team during registration by selecting the team option IN RACE ROSTER.
- MJOS WILL ASSIGN TEAMS under designated Maui Jim team names.
- Team member composition will be announced at the MJ Ocean Shootout at check in.
- The team option is a fun and spirited way for participants to meet and compete with fellow competitors in true Aloha fashion and sportsmanship which defines the MJ Ocean Shootout.
- Team members will continue to race individually throughout the competition and as a team in the two relay races for team points.
- Individuals will once again accumulate points for their own personal totals via the Open or Age group divisions over the two days of competition.
- A competitor's accrued points over the two days can also be applied in parallel to a team total points that will be tabulated throughout the competition.
- Teams MUST consist of a minimum of 5 members and be representative of all age divisions including at least 1 woman (any age).
- Teams will participate in the final 5-person First to Finish Relay and Medley relay at the end of each day.
- Top 3 teams will earn prizes awarded on Sunday evening.
- A competitor’s accrued points over the two days can also be applied in parallel to a team total points that will be tabulated throughout the competition.
- Teams MUST consist of 5 members and be representative of all divisions. For example:
Team “X” will consist of 5 members:
- One from the Open Div., one from Men’s 30’s, one from Men’s 40’s, one from Men’s 50’s, one from Women’s (any age).
- All teams will be co-ed, and the co-ed teams will compete as 5-person relay teams in both Medley Relays which will count toward a team’s points and require participation from 5 team members (1 woman).
- The top 3 teams will be awarded prizes and the winning team will be placed on a perpetual trophy that will be showcased at the Maui Jim Lahaina office.
Team relays will be the final events on both days and will be for team points. How it works.
First-To-Finish Relay (Day One)
Day one, First to Finish: Teams will choose the order of the five disciplines for their five team members and strategize who will do what discipline in whatever order the team chooses. Teams will earn team points based on their overall finish.
Maui Jim Medley Relay (Day Two)
Teams will once again strategize amongst themselves for the five disciplines but the order of disciplines will be predetermined by MJOS Staff and announced to the teams prior to the race. Team points will be awarded and this will be the finale race for the Maui Jim Ocean Shootout.
Email: [email protected]
Day 1 Events
Day One Morning: (Open and Age Group Heats)*
Swim Race (Heats)
Surf-Ski Race (Heats)
SUP Race (Heats)
OC-1 Race (Heats)
Paddleboard Race (Heats)
Day One Afternoon: (Finals)*
FIRST TO FINISH Five Person Co-ed (1 female) Medley Relay consisting of all 5 disciplines.
*Option to combine age group heats based on turnout in each event.- Points will still be accumulated for your respective division.
Day 2 Events
Day Two Morning: (Open and Age Group Heats)
Paddleboard-Swim-SurfSki (Heats) (American Ironman)
SUP-Swim-OC-1 (Heats) (Hawaiian Ironman)
Waterman Challenge (Heats) (Run, Swim, SUP, Paddleboard, OC-1, SurfSki)
Day Two Afternoon: (Finals)
Paddleboard-Swim-Surfski Finals (American Ironman Finals)
SUP-Swim-OC-1 Finals (Hawaiian Ironman Finals)
Open Waterman Challenge Final Women/Men
Maui Jim Relay Team Medley (5-person)
The final order of each discipline for the Waterman Challenge will be decided on the day of the event based on conditions.
1st – 25 Pts.
2nd – 21 Pts.
3rd – 20 Pts.
4th – 18 Pts.
5th – 16 Pts.
6th – 15 Pts.
7th – 13 Pts.
8th – 12 Pts.
9th – 10 Pts.
10th – 9 Pts.
11th – 8 Pts.
12th – 7 Pts.
13th – 6 Pts.
14th – 5 Pts.
15th – 4 Pts.
16th – 3 Pts.
17th – 2 Pts.
18th – 1 Pt.
1st – 20 Pts.
2nd – 16 Pts.
3rd – 15 Pts.
4th – 13 Pts.
5th – 12 Pts.
6th – 10 Pts.
7th – 9 Pts.
8th – 7 Pts.
9th – 6 Pts.
10th – 5 Pts.
11th – 4 Pts.
12th – 2 Pts.
Under 18 years
Anyone can race Open, but Men 18-29 years are ONLY eligible for the Open division.
*Open division is optional to women who will race against men for open points and purse.
Men Age Groups:
Women Age Groups:
39 years and under
40 years and over
* A competitor may participate in the Open Division and their respective Age Group as well.
* Points will accumulate independently in each division.
* Women are invited to race in the Open division (Men and Women race against each other).
* Overall Waterman Division is based off Open Division points only.
- ALL EQUIPMENT FOR THE MAUI JIM OCEAN SHOOTOUT WILL BE PROVIDED BY MAUI JIM FOR THE COMPETITORS. Please bring you own paddles and accessories.
- NO PERSONAL EQUIPMENT IS ALLOWED. IT WILL BE MANDATORY FOR COMPETITORS TO COMPETE ON THE EQUIPMENT PROVIDED.
- As always, competitors are asked to bring their own paddles and an extra one if available for the shared use of the paddles amongst competitors that may not have.
- We ask the participants to exhibit the Aloha Spirit and good sportsmanship personified by sharing the surfski, canoe and SUP equipment and paddles with fellow competitors. Your Kokua and cooperation is greatly appreciated.
- The Maui Jim Ocean Shootout is providing similar/equal equipment (Surf-Ski’s/OC-1’s/SUP/Prone).
- PROVIDED EQUIPMENT- Shared, not for exclusive use.
- SUP’s will be limited to stock inflatable 12’6” (Rouge).
- Prone Stock Paddleboards 12′ (Riviera).
- Surfskis (Epic).
- OC-1 (Various)
- Sharing of the equipment provided by the MJOS will be coordinated with Race Officials and Race Marshall’s for potential heat conflicts.
- Following the Maui Jim Molokai Challenge (May 28, 2017) Surf-Ski’s and OC-1’s will be trailered and shipped directly to Maui for the MJOS competition.
- All image rights reserved Maui Jim Oceanfest- Photo Credit: 808photo
- We are offering a event accommodation group discounts at the following Ka'anapali Hotels June 3-4, 2017:
- Host Hotel and at the center of the event
- $174 room only /$218 room + breakfast
- $210 room / $254 room + breakfast. (Oceanview)
- You can book online at: http://www.kbhmaui.com/
- MJOS GROUP DISCOUNT CODE: MJ17
- Maximum occupancy is four (4) people per room. Additional charge for 3rd and 4th persons $40 room only or $58 room and breakfast per person per night plus tax.
This is a COMPETITOR AND FAMILY ONLY OFFER.