Thanks for getting in touch!
We will get back to you asap
$50,000 Cash Purse
Open class and age group sprint races for Surf-ski, OC-1, SUP, Prone Paddleboard and Swimming.
Iron man style multi-disciplined races on day two
A competitor may participate in the Open Division and their respective Age Group as well. Points will accumulate independently in each division.
1st – 25 Pts.
1st – 20 Pts.
Under 18 years*
- 14 and under
- 15 and above
*Jr Age groups are subject to change and may be adjusted based on entries.
*Jr's that race in the Open category in any race will be taken out of the Jr division are no longer eligible to race in the Jr Division.
Ages 18-29. Anyone can race Open, but Men 18-29 years are ONLY eligible for the Open division.
Men Age Groups:
Top 5 women will earn points in the Women Open category.
Top 3 Open Women for Prize money. Women cannot place in more than one division.
Women Age Groups:
39 years and under
40 years and over
Important Division Information:
- Men 30+ years have the option to race in both the Open and Age Group Races (in 2 separate races for each event).
- Women automatically race simultaneously in the Open AND Age Group races (1 race for each event.)
- Men may participate in both the Open Division and their respective Age Group.
- Points will accumulate independently in each division.
- Overall Waterman/Waterwoman Division is based off Open Division points only.
* Women's Division Notes:
ALL WOMEN (Age group and Open) shall race together and be separated by their Age Group and Open once each race is complete.
The TOP FIVE Women in each race shall accrue OPEN POINTS in addition to their AGE GROUP POINTS.
IF the entries are greater than twenty for any race limited by equipment numbers we will run the age groups separate and identify the TOP FIVE OPEN by the fastest times.
ALL WOMEN will accumulate points in their respective age groups AND the TOP FIVE PER RACE will accumulate OPEN POINTS.
The top three Women in the Open Division will be moved out of the age group division (women will not place in more than one division).
The top three Open Points and the top three from each age group will qualify for prize money (see prize money breakdown).
$50,000 Prize purse to be divided between the men and women divisions.
Sign up early – the registration prices will go up after May 5
Single Day Registration: $125 ($150 after May 5)
Two Day Registration: $200 ($250 after May 5)
- All race registrations include free kids race entry.
- All Jr. Division races are free and equipment is provided to all competitors.
Maui Jim Molokai Challenge competitors will receive a discounted rate of $100 for 1 Day and $150 for 2 Days (late fees will not apply).
All event proceeds will be donated to local charities:
Hale Makua Health Services
Imua Family Services
Women Helping Women
Maui Arts and Cultural Center
Maui County Junior Lifeguard Program
A competitor may participate in both the Open Division and their respective Age Group.
Women will automatically earn points in Age group and Open simultaneously
Points will accumulate independently in each division.
Overall Waterman/Waterwoman Division is based off Open Division points only.
Maui Jim Relay Teams
Maui Jim Relay Teams
The Maui Jim Ocean Shootout will offer participants a chance to race with fellow competitors as 5-person competition teams.
Team relays will be the final event and will be for team points.
How it works:
- Individuals can choose to be part of a team during registration by selecting the team option IN RACE ROSTER.
- MJOS WILL ASSIGN TEAMS under designated Maui Jim team names.
- Team member composition will be posted at the MJ Ocean Shootout at check in.
- The team option is a fun and spirited way for participants to meet and compete with fellow participants in a true Aloha fashion and sportsmanship which defines the MJ Ocean Shootout.
- Team members will continue to race individually throughout the competition and as a team in the relay race for team points.
- Individuals will once again accumulate points for their own personal totals via the Open or Age group divisions over the two days of competition.
- A competitor's accrued points over the two days can also be applied in parallel to a team total points that will be tabulated throughout the competition.
- Teams MUST consist of a minimum of 5 members and be representative of all age divisions including at least 1 woman (any age).
- Teams will participate in the final 5-person Medley relay at the end of the day.
- Top 3 teams will earn prizes awarded on Sunday evening.
- A competitor’s accrued points over the two days can also be applied in parallel to a team total points that will be tabulated throughout the competition.
- Teams MUST consist of 5 members and be representative of all divisions. For example:
Team “X” will consist of 5 members:
- One from the Open Div., one from Men’s 30’s, one from Men’s 40’s, one from Men’s 50’s, one from Women’s (any age).
- All teams will be co-ed, and the co-ed teams will compete as 5-person relay teams in the Medley Relay which will count toward a team’s points and require participation from 5 team members (1 woman).
- The top 3 teams will be awarded prizes and the winning team will be placed on a perpetual trophy that will be showcased at the Maui Jim Lahaina office.
Maui Jim Medley Relay
Teams will strategize amongst themselves who races in each of the five disciplines but the order of disciplines will be predetermined by MJOS Staff and announced to the teams prior to the race. Team points will be awarded and this will be the finale race for the Maui Jim Ocean Shootout.
(Event order is subject to change depending on weather and circumstance)
Day 1 Events
Day One Morning: (Open and Age Group Heats)
Swim Race (Heats)
Surf-Ski Race (Heats)
SUP Race (Heats)
OC-1 Race (Heats)
Paddleboard Race (Heats)
Day One Afternoon: (Finals)*
Team Relay Race (5-person)
Day 2 Events
Day Two Morning: (Open and Age Group Heats)
Paddleboard-Swim-SurfSki (Heats) (American Ironman)
SUP-Swim-OC-1 (Heats) (Hawaiian Ironman)
Waterman Challenge (Heats) (Run, Swim, SUP, Paddleboard, OC-1, SurfSki)
Day Two Afternoon: (Finals)*
Paddleboard-Swim-Surfski Finals (American Ironman Finals)
SUP-Swim-OC-1 Finals (Hawaiian Ironman Finals)
Open Waterman Challenge Final Women/Men Maui
The final order of each discipline for the Waterman Challenge will be decided on the day of the event based on conditions.
*Any events with less than 20 people or non-equipment based such a swimming will run straight final for the open and age groups. We intend to run each event without heats as possible.
All watercraft for the Maui Jim Ocean Shootout will be provided by Maui Jim for the competitors. It will be mandatory for competitors to compete on the watercraft provided. No personal watercraft is allowed and all equipment is standardized and equal. Please bring your own paddles and accessories.
As always, competitors are asked to bring their own paddles and an extra one if available for the shared use of the paddles amongst competitors that may not have. We ask the participants to exhibit the Aloha Spirit and good sportsmanship personified by sharing the surfski, canoe and SUP equipment and paddles with fellow competitors. Your Kokua and cooperation is greatly appreciated.
Provided Equipment Shared, not for exclusive use.
- SUP’s will be limited to stock inflatable 12’6” (Rouge). Prone Stock Paddleboards 12′ (Riviera). · Surfskis (Epic). OC-1 (Various)
- Sharing of the equipment provided by the MJOS will be coordinated with Race Officials and Race Marshall’s for potential heat conflicts.
- Following the Maui Jim Molokai Challenge event Surf-Ski’s and OC-1’s will be trailered and shipped directly to Maui for the MJOS competition.
Ka’anapali Beach Hotel
This is our host hotel for the event and is located at the center of the event.
- Starting at $179/night
MJOS GROUP DISCOUNT CODE: MJ18
Maximum occupancy is four (4) people per room. Additional charge for 3rd and 4th persons $40 room only or $58 room and breakfast per person per night plus tax.
This is a COMPETITOR AND FAMILY ONLY OFFER.