Maui Jim to Host Fourth Annual Ocean Shootout in Maui
June 07, 2018
Lahaina, HI. (May, 31, 2018) – For the fourth consecutive year, Maui Jim, Inc.®, makers of premium polarized sunglasses, is proud to host the Maui Jim Ocean Shootout, June 2-3, 2018. This unique, two-day ocean-lifeguard-style competition consists of 10 different individual sprint races and a co-ed relay race in a series of multi-disciplined ocean-sports events. Set in the waters of Ka’anapali Beach and fronting the Kaanapali Beach Hotel, participants will test their skills and endurance in a series of individual races for points over the two days towards a $50,000 prize purse, the largest in the world of its kind. One hundred percent of this year’s event proceeds will go toward community flood and disaster recovery efforts on the island of Kauai after the record-setting rainfall of April.
“We are proud to once again host this event in our birthplace of Kaanapali, Maui. The Maui Jim Ocean Shootout showcases the world’s best ocean athletes, but also provides a perfect venue for local athletes to line up shoulder to shoulder with the top athletes and showcase their talents.” said Jay Black, VP of Marketing at Maui Jim. “We are honored to be able to provide support for disaster recovery efforts for our ohana on Kauai after the devastating floods of April. While we are here to celebrate the waterman lifestyle and tradition we also want to recognize and assist those that are still dealing with the disaster on Kauai. ”
Throughout the Ocean Shootout, teams and individuals will compete in a series of international and Hawaiian-based competitive ocean sports, including sprint races in five disciplines: surf-ski, OC-1(outrigger canoe), Stand-up Paddleboard, traditional paddleboard and swimming. It’s also the premier event in the Maui Jim Ocean Racing Series (MaJORS) and marks the fifth of ten events across four Hawaiian Islands. For more information on the MaJORS, visit http://mauijimmajors.com/.
Race divisions are by age groups but also include a team division with a medley (combination of all events) relay. Each competitor’s individually accrued points over the weekend can also be applied toward their team points that will be tracked throughout the competition. The top three teams will earn prizes and an Overall Waterman and Waterwoman will be crowned after the Waterman Challenge on Sunday, June 3.
Additional details on the Ocean Shootout are as follows:
- Where: All events will take place in the nearshore waters of Kaanapali and on the beachfront of the Ka’anapali Beach Hotel.
- Who Can Enter: Registration is open to everyone and will have open class and age groups. All race registrations include free kids (Jrs-under 18 years) race entry. All Jrs registration is free.
- Registration: Participants can register for a single or two-day event at https://raceroster.com/events/2018/16290/maui-jim-ocean-shootout-2018
- Prizes: The Maui Jim Ocean Shootout is the highlight of the MaJORS, touting the biggest prize purse in the world for this type of event: $50,000. Individual races and overall points categories will divide the prize money.
- Equipment: All equipment of equal design will be provided free with registration by Maui Jim, with the exception of paddles and accessories. This is a unique quality of the event with no other events providing all the race equipment.
With a deep heritage rooted in its home of Maui, the brand is proud to donate all event proceeds to local charities on Kauai working on disaster recovery and relief.
For full event rules, a race course map, accommodations, and a detailed schedule, visit MauiJimOceanShootout.com
Event photo highlights will be provided Sat and Sunday afternoon. Links will be made available for downloads.
About Maui Jim
Maui Jim sunglasses were born on the beaches of Maui and designed to protect eyes from the harsh rays of the island sun. Today, Maui Jim is recognized for unparalleled “Aloha Spirit” and customer service as well as patented PolarizedPlus2® lens technology, which blocks 100% of UV rays and eliminates glare while enhancing color, definition and depth perception. Maui Jim sunglasses have earned the Skin Cancer Foundation Seal of Recommendation as an effective UV filter for the eyes and surrounding skin. For more information, visit mauijim.com, follow us on Facebook or on Twitter and Instagram at @OfficialMauiJim.